House fires are commonly attributed to electrical faults and overloading of circuits.
Be clever when it comes to electrical safety within your home and minimise the risk of fire or damage to property with these clever in-home electrical safety tips!
Ditch the double adapter!
Now we all know what a double adapter is and chances are, we’ve all used one in the past!
The dangers that double adapters present, however are very real. With no overload protection built into them – adapters can get very hot, very quickly. They pose a very high fire risk and we recommend that you replace all the double adapters in your home with quality, surge protected power boards.
Don’t Piggy Back Your Power Boards
Overloading power boards is a common oversight by many home owners. Known as piggy backing, the practice sees one power board plugged into another. All power boards have a maximum current rating so you are risking your life and property every time you piggyback.
Instead, arrange for a licensed electrical contractor to install new power points where required.
Avoid Power Boards For High Wattage Appliances
Appliances that pull a lot of power such as heaters, are best to be plugged directly into power points. Using a power board for these type of items could see the board’s circuit wiring overloaded causing a fire.
Leads Have Limits
Extension leads are designed to be used as a temporary measure – they should not be seen as a permanent power solution. Use only extension leads with three metal core pins – two cores are not earthed and should only be used with double insulated electrical equipment.
Don’t place leads under rugs or carpet and never try to extend a lead by twisting or taping the cord.
All of the fire risks identified above can be resolved by seeking out more power points in your home. If you need additional power points, speak with one of our Brisbane electricians today.